Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Plug me in

Ok so most of you know my absence from the Internet is because we lost our Internet wireless card. Well its been found thanks to Ross and Gracie. It was for those interested to know under the unused antenna behind our flat screen tv. Only the Lord knows which kid put it there and why but I'm just glad to be plugged back in.

So here is a little reflection on being unplugged.

We (the whole family) gave up TV for lent. Now this is not a new concept for our family. I have traditionally put the TV in the upstairs closet for the summer in past years. However, we have never tried it in the cold winter when we are all locked in the house together 24/7. I have been surprised over all with how much I have not missed the noise or the distraction of the TV. I have also been surprised at how there were days when I really missed the noise and distraction of the TV. Mostly for the purpose of a late night movie and bag of popcorn or the occasional Food TV show for inspiration.
The kids have stopped asking if they can watch TV with exception of Colin. He still asked at least twice a day. They however have done well finding other distractions. Now my kids have never been allowed to watch endless hours of TV (on a regular basis). I will not pretend there haven't been days. I usually try to not entertain my kids on the philosophy that if they have to use their imaginations and each other to entertain themselves. It forces them to problem solve and be creative.
I think that proof of my theory has been found these last 40 days. They really have done well. Good Job kids!!! We have had multiple games invented and art pieces created.
I on the other hand until last week was just happy to entertain myself with the computer. The Internet has all sorts of things to keep one busy. Then the Internet disappeared. Maybe God hid the card? I read 3.5 novels last week. Not little ones either. I also had a lot more time for reflection on what I would blog about in certain moments. It was cathartic. So I guess this lent had a lot to offer me this year and I'm thankful for it. It has left me with a deep appreciation for the life I have around me. Thanks be to God.

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Cathartic...I had to look this one up to be sure, Kel. :) "The term in drama refers to a sudden emotional breakdown or climax that constitutes overwhelming feelings of great sorrow, pity, laughter or any extreme change in emotion that results in the restoration, renewal and revitalization for living." (wikipedia) kudos! The perfect word here...emotional breakdown and purification all wrapped up in one. I'm glad you had a fruitful week :) love ya!

Stephanie said...

Glad to see you are back:)) I don't have the other tea bags but I will see if my mom can get one ok:) and my e-mail is ednamae717@yahoo.com
Have a great day!!